There are a bunch of browsers available in the market. But chrome is the most used browser among all. The reason for its popularity is that it is super fast. Other browsers are a bit slow. But chrome finds results within a fraction of seconds. But many users have reported a problem that Chrome is becoming slower like other browsers. In case you have open a lot of tabs in the chrome then chrome may freeze or show results slower.
At first, users think that it is there device’s fault. But it is not a device fault but it is known as a chrome memory leak. Whenever the chrome freeze during any search then it is the sign of chrome memory leak. This problem occurs because when you open lots of tabs in the chrome at the same time then it means that more RAM is using at that time.
In this article, we have collected different methods of how to fix a chrome memory leak. These methods help to reduce the high usage of RAM. You can follow one method according to your ease.
Different methods to fix chrome memory leak
Method 1- Block flash
In this method, we are going to block the adobe flash player and then install the latest version of it. It will help to use less RAM. Follow the give steps for details:
- Open your google chrome. You can perform this method to avoid the chrome memory leak in any device. Whether it is your pc, laptop, or mobile phone.
- Now open the chrome and then search chrome://setting/content/flash. You can also copy this URL from here and search in chrome.
- Now you will see a toggle of allowing sites to run flash. You need to disable that toggle.
- Once you have disabled the toggle of flash player then you need to check if you are using the latest version of a flash player or not. For this search chrome://components in the search bar.
- Now scroll down and find the option of adobe flash player. This option gives you the details of the current adobe flash player you are using. Check whether you are using the latest version or not.
In case you are not using the latest version then you need to update your flash player. Otherwise, the problem will remain the same.
Method 2- Update google chrome
It may be possible that you are using the oldest version of google chrome. This may lead to freezing the chrome tab. Therefore, it is very important to update google chrome. To upload the latest version of google chrome follows the given steps:
- Firstly open your google chrome. Once you opened it, you will see the three dots made on the top right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down the options and click on the help. After that choose google chrome.
- Now a new window will appear on the screen. Version status of google chrome is given below the google chrome icon. If you will something is written like up to date in that section, it means google chrome is already and the problem is something else.
- If you find nothing like that written below the icon it means that you need to update the chrome. You can update the chrome by clicking on the status section.
Wait until the update process completes. Once it is completed then, check if the same problem occurs again or not. If you face the same problem again then you might need to follow the other methods.
Method 3- Enable the one tab chrome extensions
This is a very important extension of the chrome. It is very useful in case you are using multiple tabs at the same time in the chrome. If you enable this extension then it will make a list of all the opened tabs. You can again restore any of the tabs from that list by just one click. This extension can save 95% of the RAM. To enable this extension the instructions are given below:
- The first step is to add one tab extensions to the chrome. You can add it to the browser. When you search one tab in the search box then an option of add to chrome will open, click on that option and the one tab extensions will be added to your chrome.
- Once you have added the extension to the chrome, an icon will be highlighted in the top right corner of the chrome. It is a kind of a diamond icon.
- Now, whenever, you open a lot of tabs in the chrome and want to list them. You only need to click that icon. After that, all the opened tabs will be listed and stored in one tab.
You can easily restore the page by clicking on it. You can restore any page from the list. If this method also didn’t work then try the next method.
Method 4- Disable unwanted extensions
It is very important to remove all the unwanted and unnecessary extensions of the chrome. If you think that you are not even using these extensions then how can they cause memory leak to chrome? Doesn’t matter these extensions are in use or not. These extensions will always use the resources of your computer. Therefore. It is very important to delete all kinds of unwanted and unnecessary extensions. To removes this kind of extensions you need to follow the given instructions:
- open the chrome of your device and search chrome://extensions. You can also copy this link and paste in the chrome after that press enter.
- Now all the extensions of your chrome will appear on the screen. You can see the enable option with a tick next to every extension. Firstly remove that tick by clicking on it. In this way, you are disabling the extensions.
- Now press the bin icon made next to each extension and delete them.
- The last step is to restart the chrome.
Make sure you only delete the unwanted extensions. Otherwise, you again have to install all the extensions to the chrome. Check if this method works or not. If not then, move on toward the next method.
Method 5- Clear temporary files
This method is suitable for laptops and personal computers. In this method, we are going to clear all the temporary files of your computer. These files also use a lot of resources of the computer and can cause freezing of the chrome.
- To clear temporary files to open the chrome and then press window key+ R. After that enter %temp% and press ok.
- Now either you can select all the files from the regular and usual method with the help of a mouse. Or you can press the Ctrl+A to copy all the files.
- Once you copied all the files, delete all those files.
After that restart, the chrome and check if this method works or not. If you face the same problem then move to the next step.
These are the some best methods of how to fix a chrome memory leak. You can also use some alternative methods like chrome clean up tool. Chrome has an official cleanup tool named as google chrome cleanup tool. You can use this tool to clear your chrome. Also, you can try to restore the chrome settings.
These are the only possible methods of how to fix the chrome memory leak. Try a random method first. You can try the easy method first. In case that method didn’t work for your chrome then follow all other methods. Make sure you check if there is still the fault or not, after using every single method. I hope you find this article helpful.